Skip to Main Content

Social Services

Social Services provides a variety of services to Whispering Heights. Our Social Workers strive to advocate for our residents and their families. Our goal is to provide every resident with a meaningful aging process. To maximize this goal, our Social Workers work hand-in-hand with individuals and families as they make decisions regarding long-term care at Whispering Heights. During the admission process, a Social Worker works closely with other departments to ensure a smooth and pleasant adjustment process for each resident. During a resident's stay at Whispering Heights, the social workers will continue to work with residents and their families to provide for the needs of each individual resident. Some of these needs may include securing adaptive equipment, making appointments, transportation, assistance and referrals for financial planning and discharge planning when needed.

Financial Information

Financial Information

Whispering Heights will accept all forms of payment. The office will file your nursing home insurance claims.

Social Workers also have information regarding a variety of services. Two of these are Medicare and Medicaid. Information regarding Medicaid is available from Social Workers. Medicaid or Title IXX should be applied for at the Sioux County Department of Human Services in Orange City, Iowa as that is County Seat. The phone number for the Sioux County Department of Human Services is (712) 737-2943. To begin the application process, these following documents must be available: Birth certificate, social security card, Medicare care, burial contracts, bank statements, proof of income are a few of the documents needed.

Veteran’s Benefits are also available to veterans or spouses of veterans. Veteran’s benefits or Aid and Attendance is a benefit to persons entering the nursing home to help pay for their bill. There is a qualification process and a copy of your discharge papers will begin the process. If you think you may be eligible, contact the social worker to get the paperwork started.

Advance Directives

Advance Directives

There are two advance directives that you can sign in Iowa. One is the living will and the second is the Durable Power of Attorney. Advance directives are documents which spell out your wishes for future medical care. Advance directives guide your doctor and family when you are unable to speak for yourself.

Living Wills

A Living Will states that if you should have an incurable or irreversible condition that would cause your death within a short time that you would not want life sustaining procedures to keep you alive. Living wills can be as short as the above statement or can be more detailed to include specific items such as antibiotic use, placement or no placement of a feeding tube, cardiopulmonary resuscitation, mechanical breathing, medical technology and/or pain medications.

Durable Power of Attorney

A Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care is an agent appointed by you to make medical decisions for you only when you are unable to speak for yourself. By appointing someone to make medical decisions for you, your doctor has the legal right to ask that person what your desires would be if you could not make your desires known. It is helpful to discuss with your appointed agent what your desires are for your healthcare so he or she can advocate on your behalf. You may appoint one agent or several. It is helpful to meet with a lawyer to discuss this further and to get things legalized in writing. After you have secured a copy of your directives from your lawyer, you will need to share a copy with your doctor, your hospital and nursing home. Our social workers have additional information to help you decide what advanced directive is right for you.

5 Wishes Program

The 5 Wishes program is a helpful tool and a recognized legal document when writing advanced directives. If you are interested in learning more about this program, please contact our social workers to mail you a copy of the booklet.

Contact Us

Social Service Contacts

Phone Number: 712-476-8214

Melinda Faber, LBSW
Social Services

Heather Vangrootheest, BSW
Social Services