Burn Care Services
Our burn care specialists use their experience, technology and staff to treat burn injuries in a variety of ways. Emergency surgery, skin care, respiratory care, reconstructive work and rehabilitation are some aspects involved in our comprehensive services.
Our Burn Unit offers many services including inpatient and outpatient care, long-term care and educational programs. Keep reading to learn more.
Our Main Services
In addition, we offer a full range of support services including:
- Expert nursing care
- Surgery and skin grafting
- Respiratory therapy
- Social services
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Nutritional support
- Child life specialists
Types of Burn Care
Our Follow-up Burn Clinic Offers
- Physician and nursing consultation
- Physical and occupational therapy assessment
- Social services
- Specialty garments
- Outreach education for health care providers
- Fire and burn prevention puppet shows for schools and daycares
- Education for nursing and therapy students
- School re-entry assistance for children
Avera McKennan Hospital & University Health Center and the Avera McKennan Foundation honor our burn team and local area firefighters for their noble efforts and also support burn victims and their families thanks to donations from the community. The Foundation's contributions include:
- Giving support for burn victims and their families
- Sending children and staff to Burn Camp annually in Colorado
We understand the kind of comprehensive care required for burn patients and their loved ones. Everyone involved in our Burn Unit remains focused on your progress long after you leave our campus.
If you have any questions about our Burn Care services, please call Avera McKennan at 605-322-8000. If you have any questions about treatment of minor heat or cold burns, call our ASK-A-NURSE line at 605-322-6877 or 1-800-658-3535.