Avera Queen of Peace General Information
For more information please contact Avera Queen of Peace at (605) 995-2000
All visitors who have a communicable disease or think they might have a communicable disease are asked not to visit patients while they are hospitalized. This is especially important when the community is experiencing high levels of a communicable disease. If you are visiting a patient who is in an "Isolation" room, you must check with the nurse and receive training and protective equipment and hand washing instructions prior to entering the patient’s room.
Letters for patients are delivered each morning by volunteers. Letters that arrive after a patient is discharged are forwarded to the patient's home. Stamps and stationery may be purchased in the Gift Shop. Outgoing mail may be left at the nurses station or given to a volunteer.
Family and friends may email greeting cards to patients at Avera Queen of Peace. Volunteers will deliver the e-cards to patient rooms.
Please note, the use of cell phones is prohibited in the following areas of the hospital:
- Cardiac Rehab
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency Services
- Operating Room
- Recovery Rooms
For the convenience of your family and friends, waiting rooms are located near the elevators on each floor. A volunteer surgery hostess is present in the surgical waiting room during regular surgery hours, Monday through Friday, and will notify family members when the patient will be returned to his/her room following surgery. If family and friends choose to wait in another area, they are asked to please inform the surgery hostess as it may be necessary to contact them during surgery. The ICU waiting room is reserved for families with patients in ICU.
- Breakfast (Self-Serve) 6:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m
- Coffee Break 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
- Lunch 11:30 a.m. - 1:15 p.m.
- Coffee Break 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Supper 5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Beverages, sandwiches, snacks and other items are available at all times in the vending machines located next to the cafeteria.
No Smoking...No Tobacco Products
Avera Queen of Peace Hospital is a tobacco-free campus. Smoking and the use of other tobacco products is prohibited anywhere on Avera Queen of Peace property.
Complaints and Concerns
Avera Queen of Peace Hospital wishes to promote open communication regarding your hospital experience. We encourage you to call the respective Department Director at (605) 995-2000 or call the Director of Quality/Risk Management at (605) 995-2464 to voice complaints or concerns, or to ask questions. Should you have a concern that is unresolved, you have the right to contact the South Dakota Department of Health, 600 E. Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501, (605) 773-3361, and/or the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181, 1-800-994-6610, or email@example.com.
Your rights regarding medical information about you.
We understand that medical information about you is personal. We are committed to protecting medical information about you. We create a record of the care and services you receive to provide quality care and to comply with legal requirements. This protection of your information applies to all of the records of your care that we maintain, whether created by facility staff or your personal doctor.
As per the Notice of Privacy Practices, the following lists the policy of Avera Queen of Peace Health Services:
- In most cases, you have the right to look at or get a copy of medical information that we use to make decisions about your care, when you submit a written request. If you request copies, we may charge a fee for the cost of copying, mailing or other related supplies. If we deny your request to review or obtain a copy, you may submit a written request for a review of that decision.
- If you believe that information in your record is incorrect or if important information is missing, you have the right to request that we amend the records, by submitting a request in writing that provides your reason for requesting the amendment. We could deny your request to amend a record if the information was not created by us; if it is not part of the medical information maintained by us; or if we determine that record is accurate. You may appeal, in writing, a decision by us not to amend a record.
- You have the right to a list of those instances where we have disclosed medical information about you, other than for treatment, payment, health care operations or where you specifically authorized a disclosure, when you submit a written request. The request must state the time period desired for the accounting, which must be less than a 6-year period and starting after April 14, 2003. The first disclosure list request in a 12-month period is free; other requests will be charged according to our cost of producing the list. We will inform you of the cost before you incur any costs.
- You have the right to request that medical information about you be communicated to you in a confidential manner, such as sending mail to an address other than your home, by notifying us in writing of the specific way or location for us to use to communicate with you.
- You may request in writing, that we not use or disclose medical information about you for treatment, payment or healthcare operations or to persons involved in your care except when specifically authorized by you, when required by law, or in an emergency. We will consider your request, but we are not legally required to accept it. We will inform you of our decision on your request.
All written requests or appeals should be submitted to our Privacy Officer listed at the bottom of this Notice.
- If you are concerned that your privacy rights may have been violated, or you disagree with a decision we made about access to your records, you may contact our Privacy Officer (listed below). You may also contact our Corporate Compliance Officer at (605) 995-2261 or the Avera Health Help Line at 1-888-881-8395.
- Finally, you may send a written complaint to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Civil Rights.
Our Privacy Officer can provide you the address. Under no circumstances will you be penalized or retaliated against for filing a complaint.
Privacy Officer, Avera Queen of Peace Health Services 525 North Foster, Mitchell, SD 57301-2999
Phone: (605) 995-2000 or FAX: (605) 995-2287