Digital Mammography at Avera Sacred Heart Hospital
Schedule An Appointment
Call (605) 668-8150 for more information.
No physican referral required.
Avera Sacred Heart Hospital offers state-of-the-art direct capture digital mammography. This is the most advanced technology available to detect breast cancer.
Screening digital mammograms help in the breast cancer early detection process and can show changes in the breast two to seven years before they can be felt.
The American Cancer Society Guidelines recommend annual screening mammography for women 40 years of age or older.
Our mammography staff is highly trained and experienced. All of our technologists are registered radiologic technologists with advanced certification in mammography.
Digital Mammography Features
- Digital mammography uses less radiation and provides a superior image than other types of mammography.
- Because Digital Mammography is fast, patients spend less time in the procedure.
- There's no waiting for film to be developed, digital images are immediately available. The technologist can evaluate the quality of the images as they're taken. That means patients spend less time in the exam room and rarely need to return for repeat images due to under or over exposed film.
- Digital mammography allows the physician to manipulate the image electronically, which means better diagnosis and better treatment.
- Digital images are easily stored and retrieved.
- Transmission of images from one physician to another is quick and easy.
- Digital technology provides a platform for new technologies, such as CAD software, dedicated to advancing the early detection of breast cancer.
- Computer Aided Detection or CAD is used to assist radiologists in the analysis of digital mammography images by identifying and marking regions of interest on routine screening and diagnostic mammograms.
Prepare For Your Mammogram
- Arrive 10 minutes early to check in
- Wear two pieces with a top that you can easily remove
- You will be asked to change into a gown for the exam
- You will be asked to remove any deodorant, powder or lotions from your underarms and breasts.
During Your Exam
Tell your technologist if:
- You have any history of breast cancer in your family
- You are PREGNANT or could be pregnant
- You are currently breastfeeding or stopped within the last 3 months
- You have any scars or moles on or near your breasts
- You have ever had a breast biopsy or breast surgery
- You have breast implants