About Sports Medicine
The athletic trainers of Avera St. Luke’s Sports Medicine ... helping active people stay active!
Certified athletic trainers from Avera St. Luke's Sports Medicine Department provide free athletic training services - practice and game coverage - to Aberdeen Roncalli and Central high schools and to Northern State University and Presentation College.
As specialists in the prevention, recognition and rehabilitation of injuries incurred by athletes, our athletic trainers administer immediate emergency care and use their knowledge of each athlete’s injuries to develop a treatment program based on medical, exercise and sports sciences.
Athletic Health Care Service
Our certified athletic trainers provide athletic health care as a service of Avera St. Luke’s in the following locations and capacities:
- Home junior varsity and varsity events at Aberdeen Roncalli High School (RHS) and Aberdeen Central High School (CHS).
- Daily practice and event coverage at Presentation College and Northern State University for all sports.
- Away football games and tournament events for RHS and CHS.
- Tournament coverage for South Dakota High School Activities Association-sponsored state tournaments in Aberdeen.
- Coverage of the South Dakota All-Star practices and games.
Our physical therapists are experts in rehabilitating sports medicine injuries of all types, including but not limited to back pain and problems of the muscles and joints. We make foot orthotics for runners experiencing pain and have the only BalanceMaster system (ankle and knee rehabilitation) within a 200-mile radius. Physical therapy is frequently covered by insurance and is often for more chronic or serious injuries.
Our Sports Medicine and Acceleration Department has moved to the Barnett Center on the campus of Northern State University in Aberdeen, S.D.
We can be contacted directly by calling 605-626-7967 or by calling Avera St. Luke's Outpatient Physical Therapy Department at 605-622-5878, Monday through Friday.