History of Wagner Community Memorial Hospital-Avera
December 17, 1947 was the Incorporation date of the Wagner Community Memorial Hospital Association. On January 12, 1948, the Articles of Incorporation were accepted by the Wagner Community Memorial Hospital Association. The main goal of the Association was to establish a permanent way of providing Healthcare services to the citizens of Wagner and to the surrounding area. Through the efforts of Association members, funds were raised and in 1951 a new hospital opened.
In 1974, fund-raising efforts began again and that drive was also successful. The current facility was opened in 1976. In July 2000, the Hospital became a Critical Access Hospital, designated and certified by Medicare through the SD Office of Rural Health, Department of Health offering cost-based Medicare reimbursement. On May 1, 2002, the Hospital signed a “Partners in Health” agreement with the Avera Health System and Avera Sacred Heart Hospital, Yankton, SD, to become a “managed” facility of Avera Health. This decision by the Board of Directors was made to give the Hospital management services at a lower cost. The hospital continues to be owned by the community and the governance remains with the local Board of Directors.
In April, 2006, the Hospital assumed the Avera logo and utilized the Avera name following the local facility name i.e. Wagner Community Memorial Hospital – Avera. This branding serves an identifier to the public as association with Avera Health.
Wagner Community Memorial Hospital – Avera is a 20 bed Critical Access Hospital equipped with extensive advanced services, including areas for Medical/Surgical, Pediatric, Intensive/Coronary Care, Swing Bed/Long Term Care. The clinic is adjacent to the hospital making it convenient to see hospital patients, share laboratory services and other diagnostic equipment. Outreach services include OB/GYN, Orthopedic Surgery, General Surgery, Podiatry, Cardiology and Nephrology. The people of the community truly believe in having access to care and support their local medical providers. Our hospital has a long reputation of meeting the community’s healthcare needs – from emergency services to hospital care to physician clinics. Throughout the years, one thing has remained constant with the local hospital and clinics…to provide the community of Wagner with resources to serve their health and welfare.